The Environment

Blog 3

I looked at Colleen's final slide show on the Growth of Education. I didn't actually know a lot about this topic and I thought it was a very well done blog. It took on an interesting perspective of how the government has failed its children in terms of providing a common education. I never realized that this could be a problem. I suppose that's because I'm surrounded by privileged districts, where students are able to get a decent education. I thought that Bush's no child left behind act would have helped this problem, but it seems that this problem stems from our history; the seperation of blacks and whites. After the blacks and whites were integrated, it still didn't do much because the blacks were significantly less wealthy than the whites. This created schools that were also very poor and did not provide a good education. As always, we need to look back at where our roots are to fix the problem. The government needs to find a way to level out education for those districts that have less funding. I think this issue is very relevant to today still because even in Chicago there are schools that are very poor. I thought her thoughts on what it means to be an American after learning about education was very thoughtful. The fact that different classes think of themselves differently so they define what it means to be an American differently based on what class they are in. I also really liked how she compared the issue of not getting an equal education-to how being an American means getting an equal oppotunity. AND how America does not give this in terms of all its promises. In general, I thought this slide show was well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment